All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Holy Crap! Someone read my blog! (And other news)

I am shocked and speechless. I received the following email this morning from my college roommate:
I absolutely love the song of the week on your blog!! pretty much every week i forward the blog post to some people (like my brothers) since it's so sweet.

hope you have a great monday off,
burke
I am beside myself. I had no idea anyone was actually reading this other than Geo! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to my caveman-like syntax from now on.

In all seriousness thanks a lot for everyone's encouragement and responses. Since I updated the blog a month go and started posting more frequently I've seen traffic go from 1 or 2 hits a day to an average of 12 uniqe visitors a day with an average of 5 daily returning visitors. The 30 day high was 33 page loads. In the first month this blog has gotten over 450 page loads - I'm quite pleased everyone is enjoying this as much as I am!

Just to keep you abreast of developments I have made the following improvements:
  1. I have added a 'Digg' button to my posts that allow you to submit my posts to digg.com should you particularly 'digg' one.
  2. I have made it so that the text in all my articles is automatically 'justified' (in the formating sense not the logical sense). I also changed the typeface to a larger and easier to read font.
  3. I am making a concerted effort to publish all my posts in categories. I'm sure these will change and merge in the future but right now I have:
    1. The Lifestyle
    2. Song of the Week
    3. Race Reports
    4. My Training
    5. Geek Out
    6. Fat People as a Movement
    7. Props
  4. I am taking advantage of the 'schedule post' feature the blogger just recently added to allow me to write posts and schedule when they will be posted. I am trying for ~5 times a week - always at 10 am EST.
  5. I removed my training log from the beginning of the page and moved it to a link on the sidebar. I also rearranged the entries in my log so they follow one-month cycles.
I'm still working on the following things:
  1. I would like to add other buttons to my posts such as 'Share with facebook', 'Reddit', "Technocrati" etc but seeing as it took me two weeks to figure out the 'Digg' button it may be a while still.
  2. Something I did also made all the 'tags' disappear at the bottom of posts.
  3. I hacked in a technocrati 'label cloud' that was going to allow you to view my posts by category which is also not working.
  4. I am conspicuously missing links to all the blogs by my kind and interesting friends who read my blog.
All in all there is much to do but this has been great fun for me! Thanks for reading and keep my posted with you comments and suggestions.

Peace,
a

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for daily updates!

    Gives me something to do while at work. ;D

    I need to add a tracker to my blog, I've had random cyclists in town say they enjoyed some of my posts. I probably feel very much like you do with that ... sweeeeeet. :D

    Thanks for inspiring me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy I made it into your blog!! You are pretty much my hero, I have subsequently moved your blog's feed to to the top of my aggregator's list.

    And I am still singing falsetto, not sure if my new roommate quite get's it yet.

    ReplyDelete