All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


SOTW: Constructive Summer - The Hold Steay

Annnd I'm back.

Happy New Year to everyone.

I know several people have been asking when I'm going to start blogging again. Or a couple of people. Or at least I know someone has probably said that phrase in some context lately.

I assume they were referring to me.

Let's kick things off with a SOTW to help you get through those lonely winter nights! Our first selection of the year is a studio performance of a track called "Constructive Summer" off The Hold Steady's excellent 2008 offering "Stay Positive".



I was listening to this on the drive to work and suddenly one phrase popped out at me:

"We're going to build something this summer"


Hell yes.

That's why we're out doing this. Riding our bikes when it's barely above freezing, running long after the has gone down or getting in the pool long before the sun comes up. It's why I'm going to riding my trainer tomorrow night on Dr. K's porch even though it's going to be cold as piss.

We're building something people.

When the weather breaks and everyone else finally steps out blinking into the spring sunlight for their first iPod powered jog of the year we'll be strong and ready. Poised to rock into summer with monster workouts and race stories we can carry with us for the rest of our lives.

As the song says:

"Let this be my annual reminder, that we can all be something bigger"


Indeed.

I hope everyone is as BIG as they can dream in 2009.

(shut up Ryan)

No comments:

Post a Comment