All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


SOTW: Justin Townes Earle - The Ghost of Virginia

It's been a long year and I'm tired. It feels like this year has seen more than it's fair share of changes. People have come and gone and it seems like there have been more ups and downs than usual for my friends and I - but that's how it always seems.

All-in-all things are good but just the same we're coming up on the part of the year that just seems made for looking back over the 12 months and taking stock. A beer or two can go a long way in helping with that and over the last few weeks I've gotten into the habit of heading down the Backstretch (one of our stops on HOF5) with Dr. K on Sunday nights for a few dirt-cheap ice-cold rounds.

This week's SOTW for me is perfect for doing just that - sitting back and reflecting. The melody is present but not distracting, the lyrics are serious but not depressing. And the singer/songwriter, Justin Townes Earl, is the son of Grammy-award-winning folk musician Steve Earl. While most you probably aren't familiar with Steve Earl's music (nor am I) you might know him from his acting career where he played Walon on The Wire.

Anyway, here's a track of Justin's called The Ghost of Virgina. Put it on, go grab a beer, enjoy the holidays.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment