All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Race Report: Bunny Hop Crit

Bunny Hop Criterium
Race #8
Sunday, May 2nd
76th of 92 pre-reg'ed 

The Bunny Hop Cat4 criterium in Suiteland, MD, just outside of DC, was my 8th race this season. It was my 6th race in 4 weeks and the end of a 3 week training block. Coming the day after my win at Turkey Hill and starting late in the afternoon on a hot and humid mid-Atlantic Sunday day -- it was not a race I was super enthused about. But the money was already paid so I showed up.

The race wasn't really that eventful. It was a 1k 3 corner crit so we had to so a billion laps for our 60 min race. I took probably some of the harderst corners I've taken in a race this year (on hard case tires) but I've made huge stides in my bike handleing so it wasn't as big deal as it would have been a year ago.

I was still riding a bit of a high after Saturday's win in a field sprint so I made a big bridge when a group went up the road early in the rce. It felt fantastic to let out some speed like that but the brake was pulled in after a few laps and I spent about 1/2 the race after that sitting on the back trying not to puke or drop out. Fortunately, the pace was steady and moderate due to the wide open corners so it was safe to hang out back there.

With 10 or 15 laps to go I worked my way back up to the front. Took a lot of wind but felt fine and was back in contention with 5 to go.

At some point after that I got boxed in a little and made the disasterous decision to go back through the pack to get out the side to move back up as soon as possible. This was moronic and ruined my position. 

With only a few laps to go I saw the writing on the wall. 

It was hot, my legs felt good but I was worn down and mentally checked out. I eased up and just rolled in with the pack. Made a joking show with a couple of other riders of sprinting for 69th place or whatever it was. Hung around after and met some more local riders. 

Was just glad to get home and unwind at the end of the day.

In some respects it was my worst race of the year but fortunately I just let it go. There's still a lot of season left to race and for the first time things seem to be on the right track.

Posted via email from alcovia's posterous

1 comment:

  1. It shows a lot of depth of character and knowledge of your own abilities and situations to just "Let it go."

    Good on ya mate.

    ReplyDelete