All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Race Report: Fulton Cat4/5 Road Race

Saturday, May 29th
Race #9
Fulton Cat 4/5 Road Race
___

The Fulton road race was the end of my May training cycling. And after not being able to get my nose in the sprint in my last two crits I was looking forward to a long hilly road race with an uphill finish to help sort things out and end the month on a good note.

I was not disappointed.

The race itself wasn't too eventful. We went up hills. We went down hills. Repeat. There was a bit of organization from some teams during some of the attacks/chases but in typical cat4/5 fashion the brakes mostly came back on their own. On the last lap I was expecting an attack on the hills. We rode them aggressively but no one jumped off so things were set up for a field sprint.

Coming into the last 1k there was maybe 1/2 of the 71 starters still together. Having lost a little position on the last climb I was sitting about 15th-20th and boxed in by the yellow line. I was still in this position and chomping at the bit with 300m to go when the road opened up for the uphill finish and there was already a rider off the front going for the early sprint. The field was giving chase along the right side of the road but hadn't started sprinting yet. I worked my way up and 200m to go and the line in sight I knew it was time for me to go. I got all the way on the left of the road, took the safety off, and fired.

I must have caught the pelaton napping or covering each other because I didn't see anyone respond and I was able to jump clear. The rider who had gone early was running out of steam fast and I passed him about 20m from the line. I crossed the line in disbelief but in 1st place for the 3rd time this year.

Since it wasn't a USA Cycling sanctioned race I got no upgrade points (otherwise I would have gotten 10 and gotten my upgrade) but I did take home $80 in cash.


Seems like things are really rolling now and my goal of getting my Cat3 upgrade is within reach! Big thanks to Dr. K and Tank for tons of coaching, racing advice and general encouragement this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment