All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Thursday - 03/23/06 - The Last Day

No workout today again. I was thinking about running a 1600m TT to get a final gauge of my fitness before my operation but time just wouldn't allow it.

I had my final workup with the nurse this morning at 8 am and by the time I finished the last of my homework it was 2 am.
I was too busy to really reflect on the enormity of what was about to happen.

After I missed my last chance to qualify for state in high school by 1 place I was crushed. But I loved running and had every intention of continuing and redeeming myself. I took my usual week off to rest up for whatever cross country season I could piece together as an unattached college runner. From the first day I tried to start up running again I've had terrible shin pain.


That was nearly 3 years ago.


3 years of stretching and strength exercises, massages, yoga, swimming, cycling, countless new shoes and inserts, ice, drugs, 3 sports doctors, a physical therapist and finally a vascular surgeon. 3 painful years of frustration and uncertainty. Every new training period ultimately ended in reinjury.

My passion never wavered but my hope did.

At last Dr. Turnipseed was able to find something conclusive, the pressure in my anterior lateral muscle compartments (right next to my shins) were 48 and 72, compared to normal levels of 15-20. I had compartment syndrome.

After 8 months of deliberation, and negotiating with school and work I scheduled an operation for Friday, March 24th - tomorrow.

One way or another what happens tomorrow will change the rest of my life.

But I guess that's always the case isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Alex! I had no idea you were going in for surgery... I hope all is well and you jump back into the race asap... hopefully able to get a little closer to what you're looking for. Peace.

    ReplyDelete