All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Week of 07/09/07

Monday
2 hr ride

Falls with Tank. Found out the Geo made out with Waite's mom. Hilarious. Had to pull over to the side of the road and make some calls :)

Tuesday
1 hr run

I didn't leave for my run until 10:30. I didn't want to go but I finally was able to motivate myself. When I took my first step out the door I knew tonight was going to be a full hour and fast.

I spent most of my run wondering why I do this - what I'm chasing. For the first time the answer came to me as I was dropping mile after mile at 6:30 pace through the darkened and sleeping streets of Baltimore. I think I understand why I make these sacrifices.

I want to live an extraordinary life.


Wednesday
42 min run

Arjun moved into town earlier this week. We finally got together tonight for a late night run. It was great to see him again. He definitely pushed me. The first couple of miles I run are usually a pretty slow warmup and I don't really get going till about 20 min in. Today we were clipping along pretty good after about 5 min.

It was great to have some company let alone one of my good friends. It's especially encouraging to be able to talk to someone who understands this strange world of competitive endurance sports. The challenges. The dreams we fretfully cling to.


Lots to talk about - lots more runs to do it.


Thursday
Rest Day

Friday
Rest Day

Went back to DC today for some more good times. Fought the urge to ride there again and took the train. Surprisingly faster and more convenient...

Saturday
42 min run

Another run with Arjun. He casually mentioned today that I was surging to sub 6 min pace and that we were running around 6:30 pace. I was really surprised - I thought I was hitting something closer to low 7's.

Sunday
4 hour ride
~60 miles

I woke up today at about 1 pm when Tank called me to go for a ride. I rolled out of bed and got ready and by the time 2 rolled around we were rolling out the door and rolling off into the country side.

And boy did I feel awful.

I wasn't really tired or sore I was just out of it. I felt like I was zoning out in the saddle. I didn't really feel overtrained so I'm not sure what this was. I apologized to tank and told him I was just really dragging - still a little while later he told me I was reeeeeally dragging. I was getting pretty frustrated with myself.

To make it even odder after about 2 hours it went away. Just went away. I don't know if I just needed some chill out time or if the energy from my breakfast kicked in or if it was my goos but I felt great for the last two hours.

On the way back we hit a great 2 mile climb called something Jay Dr.

As we were pulling back into town we decided that this should be a Sunday Slurpee ride. After a 4 hour, 60 mile, 90 degree ride we both agreed we had earned it. As we pulled into 7-11 disaster struck:

The Slurpee machine was broken.

Both of them.


Damn it. I'm hot, exhausted and just got done with an epic ride. The only things I've done today are get ready to ride and ride and it's nearly 7 pm - I just want a damn Slurpee.

On a completely unrelated side note Brazil won the Americas Cup in Soccer. Woot.

Totals:
Bike: 5 hrs
Run: 2 hrs 25 min
Total: 7 hrs 25 min

My total is pretty low for this week but I'm realizing this is kinda a misleading measure because my total volume depends a lot on how much I ride. I could run an hour a day and get wrecked and only have 7 hours of running. They are obviously not equal. I'll have to make a halfhearted effort think of a better way.

1 comment:

  1. "I want to live an extraordinary life." Wow - that's not a small statement - good for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete