All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Race Report: Millport Cat3/4 RR

Tank and I decided to drive up to Lancaster, PA for the Millport RR. There was a rain delay that pushed back the start of the race before us by over an hour. There was a miscommunication that resulted in us thinking that this meant our race was going to be starting 75 min late. As it turns out they cut all the rest of the races short so our race only started 15 min after the posted time.

We found out about this maybe 15 min before the race as we were tuning up our bikes. We spent the next 14 min pinning, changing, grabbing food and bottles. We made it to the line with a few minutes to spare but not the least bit warmed up.

I really have nothing to say about my race. I made it about 8 miles into the 33M race before going off the back for good and pulling myself. While in my last race I might not have been patient enough in this race I was too patient. I was content to try and sit on the back and get a feel for the course. This didn't work out at all as I was - predictably - just sprinting out of every corner on the losing end of the accordion effect.

I spun around the country for a few more minutes in the rain before calling it a day. I think I just sat in angry silence for an hour till tank's race was done - he placed a respectable 27th in the Pro/1/2/3 field that saw lots of breaks and chasing. We found out that Red Rose Racing - the company that put on this race - went bankrupt a few days later.

I tried to ride this race like a chess game - patient and calculated. I need to remember that this is still RACING and I still need to get after it. Grow some balls. I think I over-compensated after BikeJam even though I wasn't 'scared' of crashing again. The lesson I learned at BikeJam wasn't don't try at all but - just be aware of what the pelaton is doing.

[Edit: For non-cyclists. The 'accordion effect' is when a pack of riders is braking and accelerating at different times and gets stretched/contracted like an accordion. This typically happens over hills or around corners. Riders in the front of the group control the pace of the group. The change in pace also tends to get amplified as it moves through the group so that riders in the back are dealing with much more sudden accelerations and decelerations. Thus, they tend to get popped. The accordion effect is more of an issue with less-experienced groups of riders who ride less-fluidly than veterans.]

No comments:

Post a Comment