All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Race Report: Peiffer Hill Cat4 RR

Our plan was to try and repeat Brownstown - lots of attacks till something sticks followed by vicious blocking.

To be honest nothing really happened the first 3 of the 6 11k laps. It was hot and I was hurting up some of the hills but Ryan's voice in my head reminded me that everyone was hot and everyone was hurting.

A little before the start of the 4th lap I got to the front of the race. I led the group up Peiffer Hill and was feeling good. I got in the drops and settled into my tempo pace. It was my hope that someone would come up and start something once I thinned things out. No one was coming up but I was feeling comfortable with the pace so I held it.

I held it up some small climbs, through the windy sections and finally back up Peiffer hill. After having a nice little scare with an oncoming suburban on the first corner of the 5th lap I realized that no one was going to do anything. It was over 90 degrees out and everyone was content to sit in. So after almost 1.5 laps on the front I backed off. Even once I sat up it still took over a mile before I was able to get off the front. I eventually had to soft pedal and make someone overtake me!

On the 5th lap I started to feel ... funny. I don't know what it was but I definitely had this impending feeling that something bad was going to happed. Food. I decided I needed food and ate my gel. Turns out I was right on the edge of bonking as 10 min later I felt good again.

Coming off the last turn I took it too wide a lost a few spaces. The group accelerated and I went with them but I just didn't feel like sprinting myself stupid. I don't know what it was but I just didn't have the fire. I rolled in 15th - tieing my best finish of the year. Here's what the results looked like:
CATEGORY 4
PLACE BIB FIRST LAST TEAM TIME
1 414 BRIAN KLOTZ CORNING RACE TEAM 1:44:01
2 403 ERIC CHESSLER KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES/LSV same time
3 408 GREG GARVIN KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES/LSV same time
4 432 JON GONCE KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES-LSV same time
5 407 MYFONWY GALLOWAY CANBERRA CYCLING CLUB same time
6 422 TREVOR SHATTUCK HUNT VALLEY BICYCLES/MARATHON same time
7 424 STEVE SVOBODA ALPHA CYCLE SPORT same time
8 418 RICHARD MOWRY EVOLUTION RACING same time
9 1423 JORDAN STROBER CRCA JRDEV/ ORBEA same time
10 1431 JOE MAGRO same time
11 428 MARC WARNER TEAM NATURES PATH/ 3 SPORTS same time
12 412 BRETT KATZEN KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES/LSV same time
13 419 KYLE REED UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE same time
14 400 MARTIN AUSTERMUHLE THE BIKE RACK OF WASHINGTON DC same time
15 427 ALEX VIANA LATERAL STRESS VELO same time
16 420 BEN REYNOLDS BAYSIDE VELO / BIKE DOCTOR 10
17 404 DAN CONRAD ALLIED MILK CYCLING 13
18 417 BRIAN MCKENZIE YELLOW BREECHES RACING 20
19 410 CHRIS GONCE KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES-LSV 30
20 415 KARL KRAUSE CHRISTIANA CARE / FSVS same time
21 402 MICHAEL BUTZ KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES/LSV 34
22 430 SCOTT YOUNG NCVC/INOVA HEALTH SYSTEM 1:02
23 426 AARON TRUMBORE TEAM VORTEX 2:07
24 409 ALAN GIADOSH WEAVERS BIKE SHOP 6:35
25 406 JAMES FLAHERTY PRO PEDALS 6:37
26 401 DAVE BAUMGARDNER TRI-STATE VELO 23:37
Eric won the field sprint which is great but the rider of the race is definitely Greg - taking 3rd in his 1st cat4 race. Did I mention he's 40+ years old, has 6 kids and train mostly on his way to and from work? Amazing job by LSV in general; 7 finishers of our 10 who started, 3 in the top 4 and 5 in the top 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment