All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Song of the Week: Black Kids - I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend

For once I was able to pick out a SOTW that is actually hot right now! This weeks track I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend by a new UK band called Black Kids. This single went #1 in the UK last month and the album, Partie Traumatic, will be released in the states in late July. They were named one of the 10 Artists to Watch in 2008 by Rolling Stone. For the locals they will be passing through the mid-Atlantic in September.

I heard this in the car driving home on Friday and listened in close once I heard the song title and then got real excited over singer Reggie Youngblood's drippy vocals which sound like a deliberate blend of Robert Smith (The Cure) and Kele Okereke (Bloc Party). By the time the keyboard players (two!) were shouting out the backing lyrics (a la The Go! Team) I was chanting "Black Kids Black Kids Black Kids" to myself so I wouldn't forget the band name by the time I got home.

The video is kinda a bore and their other singles aren't quite as fun but I'm still keeping my eye on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment