All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


The Lifestyle: A Little Bit Of Nature

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived … I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms..."

Henry Thoreau, Walden















I took these pictures the Sunday after USATF XC Nats on my ride back from DC. It's a small creek somewhere up by Old Fredrick Rd, Old Court, Dogwood - that area. Every now and then when I'm riding alone I like to stop and just sit quietly for a few minutes when I stumble upon something like this. Sometimes my mind wanders to the future and hypotheticals. Other times it remains tightly focused on what's around me.

I imagine this is not the type of thing that most people associate with sports but after all these years it seems a natural connection to me.

What do you think? What makes you pause and reflect in your training?

4 comments:

  1. seeing flags.

    the fact that i hate running and wonder why i do it.

    taking dumps

    ReplyDelete
  2. i once saw two turkeys while running. i stopped and watched them. turkeys are exactly as dumb as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do exactly the same thing. I just wish I had my camera with me more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do the same thing too. i'm actually trying to bring my camera on easy runs once in awhile so i can make a photo album of sorts of places i run that i never would have found otherwise. also there's a trail in the arb that's probably one of my favorite places in the world.

    ReplyDelete