All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


SOTW: Jens Lekman - You Are The Light

Sweeds seem to be popular with me this year. This week's SOTW is called Into the light by the Australia-based Swedish artist Jens Lekman off his 2004 debute When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog.



In this single Jens does a great job of interpreting the pop sound of the 1970s. The horns, harmonicas and hand claps are right on. The horns in particular sound a little brash and marching bandesque by comparison with today's aesthetics but props to Jens for going for a more authentic sound. I think it works as a contrast vocals both musically and lyrically. Musically his voice has a subdued and calm quality that balancing out the pop of the horns. His lyrics are definitely modern with just a little bit more abstraction than you would expect in 70s pop music.

All in all a great track with an enjoyably goofy video. Something about the marching band both visually and musically recall Sargent Pepper for me.

Race report and more spring break stories to follow this week. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment