All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


SOTW: Animal Collective - My Girls

As I promised I am actually back to blogging. It's fun to get back in the swing of it and I already have 2 other posts lined up for this week. But since it's Monday it's time for another song of the week!

I stumbled across another synth-drenched gem on inter-tubes recently by Animal Collective. The Baltimore born and raised quartet just released their 8th studio album in 2009 titled Merriweather Post Pavilion. From the album notes the band had this to say about the title:
Merriweather Post Pavilion is an outdoor music venue in a place called Symphony Woods in Columbia, Maryland. It was designed by Frank Gehry in the 1960's, and they've been having concerts there from 1967 up through today. We used to go to shows there while growing up and have fond memories of times spent on the lawn. For most of the time we've been playing together, both in Animal Collective and the years before, we've tried to make music that would be deserving of an amazing outdoor listening experience. As both a name and a place, Merriweather Post Pavilion represents this for us.

From that album check out My Girls:



This video trips balls and I love the dense electronic sound on this track. Watching these guys groove and bounce to their track is infectious. And while it's no MGMT's "Time To Pretend" (my favorite new song I've heard this year) the lyrical content is simple and meaningful. It reads like a poem:

There isn't much that I feel I need
A solid soul and the blood I bleed
But with a little girl, and by my spouse,
I only want a proper house

I don't care for fancy things
Or to take part in the freshest wave,
But to provide for mine who ask
I will, with heart, on my father's grave

On my father's grave
(On your father's grave)

I don't mean to seem like I
Care about material things,
Like a social status,
I just want
Four walls and adobe slats
For my girls

Thanks for reading. Let's kick this week off right.

No comments:

Post a Comment