All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


The Lifestlye: Why We Do This

Tank and I were finishing up our ride last night when we were stopped at a red light in East Baltimore in the Pigtown/Union Station neighborhood. A man waiting to cross the street started talking to us and asked us the usual questions about how far we were going and all that and then he asked us something that caught me off guard.

"What's the goal?"

I blanked for a moment as I tried to come up with a concise statement of why we spend most of our free time clad in spandex, bustin' our asses, risking bones and skin on overly expensive bikes trying to win races that most people don't even know exist. But while I hesitated Tank took the conversation in a different direction:

"The Harbor. We're heading back to the Harbor." 

Before I could figure out what the man really meant by his question the light changed so we said goodbye and rolled on. A few blocks later we passed a building with some words carved in stone along the top. Without turning around Tank pointed at one. There it was in 2 foot high letters:

Growth

Posted via email from alcovia's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment