All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


The Word On The Street: Blood, Babes, Nuts and Safety

It's Friday. It's been a good week. A funny week. Here are some highlights:


"Yo, was that safe? Because that was mad fun."

Sterling, after I motor-paced him from JHU to Dr. K's house.

Define "safe".


"Now that you've made a blood sacrifice maybe the cycling gods are satisfied."

- Sterling, on Tank's nasty crash last weekend and general cycling mishaps this last month

Hopefully.


"Are [road bikes] ... good for [mountain biking]?"
"I wouldn't recommend it"

- Dr. K to a weekend warrior on the Loch Raven trails as we went MTBing on our carbon road bikes -- because we could.

This was the best ride of my life. What stared out as me going to take a piss on the trail turned into a 3M shortcut through the woods, passing stunned MTBers as we took on roots, rocks, mud, streams and drops on skinny road tires and stiff carbon frames. Dr. K did some insane trials riding (trials not trails) to clean some rocks on a stream crossing.


"Leipheimer leaves DZNuts dangling for Gila stage one win" 

- Headline from Tour of Gile coverage.

Wow.

Hilarious. But I was confused at first because I didn't know that was a team. I wasn't aware of the UCI rule that prevented ProTour teams from participating in continental (non-ProTour) races but I found out this is the reason you have pro riders racing under ad hoc teams like Lance's Mellow Johnny's team (named after his Austin, TX bike shop) and of course ... Levi Leipheimer w/DZNuts.

In my amusement I clicked over to the DZNuts website and came across their "feed zone babe" T-shirt. OK, OK, it's a little 1950's in that "a woman's place is in the feedzone" way but I still thought it was funny. Then I started thinking:

Man, I wouldn't mind one of those ...

A feed zone babe, not the shirt. But then I start thinking:

Well ... I'm not sure if I could fit her in my car w/my bike and my gear. I mean I could put my gear on top of my bike but ... no. No, I can't ...

And I kinda like singing and rocking out on my own on my way to races ... 

And my races are too short for a feed zone so I really don't need a girl there ...

And a girl just puts more pressure on placing well ...

*sigh*

These are my actual thoughts. I know they're not GOOD ideas but this is what naturally pops into my head. Slowly but surely "29 and single" is starting to look less and less like a mountain biker's rallying cry around big wheels and one gearing - and more like my destiny. Which brings me to my last quote:

"Please, show a little respect. For I am Costanza, lord of the idiots."
- Seinfeld

If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at :)
Lots of races this weekend and gorgeous weather. Get out there and enjoy it! 
a

 

 




4 comments:

  1. Alex, you're the best. Thanks for a great post! I'll be your feed zone babe any day...you just gotta race in Wisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess if I had you in "feed zone babe" shirt there would be crashes on the course! BTW, I hope you get to do a race this year where it's not raining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a crack up! Thanks for sharing your post on DM. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'cross bike. you get ill respect and you can get away with riding trails more than once. seriously, you know that if you try that again, you're going to be looking for a new bike. again.

    ReplyDelete