All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


Copa NoVa No-Gi Middleweight Beginner

This was my 1st BJJ match ever. Given 5 months of training I was happy enough with it. I didn't do anything too stupid and tried the stuff I hoped to try. I came away with somethings to work on.

In short my opponent got a take down on me (2 points) and then played a conservative game, mostly just using arm strength to lock me down in my guard.  I tried to play some armbars and kimuras but I couldn't quite set anything up. I tried to hit a hip-bump sweep a couple of times but his base was too good. In opening up my guard for these sub/sweep attempts I opened up some passing opportunities. At once point he was able to scramble into side control which got him 2 more points though I was able to get my guard back. In the end he won 4-0.

Here is a video of the end of the match. I'm in the black tights with the white "Wisconsin" lettering on the side. I've provided some narration below for those who have no idea what's going on:



  • 0:00 to 0:05 - He has side control and I shrimp out and get to my knees
  • 0:05 to 0:20 - I try to land a guillotine choke but I didn't get my legs around him and he defended with his chin. He used my lack of a closed guard to try to jump to side control.
  • 0:20 to 0:30 - I get him in something like turtle (on your hands and knees with you head tucked) and try to spin around to attack his back but he grabs my leg and we end up falling into my guard.
  • 0:30 to end - He clamps down in my guard. I try to work his arms out for a triangle or and arm bar but I can't get my body off-center enough to pull it off. I pull faux rubber guard because I run out of things to try.
In watching the video I noticed that I tend to hold on to guillotine chokes long after they've been neutralized as a way of controlling the head and body and chilling out for a second when really I should just move on to something else. I have plenty to work on but really enjoying myself!

More on my Gi match later this week.

1 comment:

  1. you are definitely learning a new language ---- corporeal and verbal --- that we outsiders must learn to appreciate ---

    ReplyDelete