All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


The Word On The Street: Ben, Dr. K and Geo on the Cold

Well it's winter again. For the most part it sucks as far as training goes but it does gives us something new to complain about for a few months. Still, the winters are much milder in Bmore than back at school in Wisconsin or home in Chicago so I'm at least thankful for that. Or at least I periodically check the weather in all three locations to make myself feel better.

I have to admit it's a fun feeling to deck out in full cycling garb and fearlessly face the elements from time to time though. Geo of DSNED back in Wisconsin takes this to another level entirely. Bike commuting is his new obsession and he makes me feel bad everyday for not biking the 5M into work. With his usual childlike level of excitement he mentioned in a recent post:
"2 - 5" of snow tomorrow by the time I get ready to ride home. I'm giddy with excitement! :D"
But while Geo has saved the environment with his fearless commuting he hasn't saved any money. Geo gone on a buying spree of cycling equipment that easily exceeds what he would have spent on gas. He has 100 Lume bike lights. I had no idea what that meant either till he shined then them Tank and I when we were visiting for Homecoming we were nearly blinded. I think we left silhouettes burned onto his wall like some nuclear fallout nightmare. It's like he has a street light strapped to the front of his bike.

Some people take different routes to fight to cold though. Ben of BBB quips:
"The best protection against nasty weather that I've found is a feeling of superiority and a contempt for the weakness of others."
Keep in mind that Ben is old and broken by bitterness brought on by a lifetime of hard living, gambling debts, and sleeping under bridges. Ditto for Dr. K of LA13MPH who after years of racing Cat1 (formula un as I call it) has developed a cold rating system based on bottles of whiskey. Here is the chart topper:
"Five Fifths: 5 hours of being dragged around by Rick Norton in sub 20ºF weather, or 30 mins on the trainer. You'll need a gallon of booze to recover from this ride."
Not the greatest season for training, but at least I get to spend a few dozen trainer sessions with Alyssatard. I'll bring the beer helmets.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry. We wil still have "feeling(s) of superiority and a contempt for the weakness of others" during our trainer sessions, even if they are indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing so hard right now, you have no idea.

    We're supposed to get ~6" of snow tomorrow or Tuesday. As soon as I get my beardsicles, I'm posting pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete