All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


My Training: Cycle 1 Complete!

Well my first 3-week cycle is done and I have to say I'm both pleased and surprised.

By the numbers:
Week 1
Running: 0.5 hr
Cycling: 7 hr
Total: 7.5 hr (+2x abs, 2x strength, 2 hr of aikido)

Week 2
Running: 1.25 hr
Cycling: 8.25 hr
Total: 9.5 hrs (+ 2x abs, 2x strength, 6 hr of aikido)

Week 3:
Running: 0.75 hr
Cycling: 9.75 hr
Total: 10.5 hr (+ 2x abs, 2x strength, 5 hr of aikdio)

So that makes a 3-week total of 26.2 hours of cardio, 13 hours of aikido and 6 sets of both abs and strength. Let's break it down a little more:

I only took 4 days off completely (no aikdio) but 3 of those days I was in CA on a work trip. I took an additional 4 days off from cardio and only did aikido. My long rides were 4.5 hr (63M), 5 hr and finally 5.5 hr (86M). I spent 7.5 hours on the trainer over the 3 weeks. Every time I rode the temperature was between 30 and 38 degrees. It flurried every time I rode except for the one time it started sleeting. My last two long rides were spent with Cat1 and 2 riders who would beak or pop me on every grade (not intentionally they're just more fit).


I walking away from this training block very satisfied. I've been training in weather that forces most people inside, alone on my trainer, and with people who are significantly more talented than me. I've done workouts I didn't think I would or could do and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

To be honest the cold and the long days in the saddle didn't bother me at all. I was with my friends, out in nature and riding my bike. I also think the fact that I've allowed myself to cross train is having a positive impact on my fitness and on my mentality. I love variety and throwing a little running and aikdo in the week has given me the positive attitude to jump on the trainer for 2 hours at time.

I'm having a great time with my training and I think that's going to allow me to do great things this season. Next week will be a rest week even though I feel fine and I'm going to take some time to appreciate my great friends over my birthday weekend. After that I'll keep inching up the volume of my cycling through my next cycle. Right now my big goal is my spring break trip to North Carolina with the UW cycling team in Mid-March. I want to be ready to put on some big miles on the trip.

See you out there!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy that the UW cycling team trip is epic enough to be a goal. Sounds like you have hit your stride or whatever the synonymous biking term would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Stroke".
    Cyclists have a good "stroke".

    I also enjoy reading about cycling; it's subtly but interestingly different from running from a training and racing perspective.

    ReplyDelete