All I want to do is drink beer and train like an animal.
- Rod Dixon

I'm feeling rough. I'm feeling raw. I'm in the prime of my life.
- MGMT


The Lifestyle: My 400th Post

This is my 400th post on this blog. My first post was on the 13th of February, 2006. At the time I was a junior in college and an RA in the dorms. I was just getting into cycling but hadn't raced yet. I hadn't had my shin surgery. A lot more has happened over the last 3 years as well!

Anyway seeing as this is something of an anniversary for this blog I wanted to take a moment to slightly redefine what it is I'm blogging about here. Over the years it's evolved.

Originally the purpose of this blog was to chronicle every mind-numbing detail of my running training. Over time I realized this was boring both for me to write about and for my nearly non-existent readership. Also, I started getting more interested in cycling so the scope of my blogging needed to grow.
Man-Trail-Running-on-the-Mount-Olympus-Trail-at-Dusk-Wasatch-Mountains-USA-Photographic-Print-C12830532.jpeg
As a result I moved to the current theme of writing about the "crazy lifestyle of endurance athletes". I also allowed myself to write about a wider range of topics, "news" articles, party stories, random jokes and some music to spice things up. It was a good improvement and it's been working for about the last 10 months now.

But the time has come to evolve once again. I have taken a new interest in martial arts (specifically but not exclusively aikdio) and now pursue that with the same enthusiasm as the rest of my training. But I think the common thread I've found is that in running, triathlons, swimming, cycling and aikido is that I've met people who train very hard at what they do. They get something out of it - whatever it is they're chasing.

Based on that I want to expand my focus to blogging about finding meaning in life through sports.

Cycling_BikeRace02.jpg

Just a little more about that idea. To the general population I get the impression sports is something you watch at a sports bar with a beer. To say you like sports means you like watching it or theoretically participating in some weekend pickup game.

For other people (like most of the people who read this blog) sports is something we DO. It shapes how we spend out time and our money. It determines who our friends our and what we aspire to. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that it gives our lives meaning. It is hopefully not the only thing, but it is an important component.

It's good and bad. We're focused, happy with the simple things in life and healthy. We're also obsessive, sometimes crushed by our failures and push ourselves to injury. We can push away friend and family.

aikido.jpg

But it's important to find meaningful things in your life. I think in a certain sense this blog has always been about what happens when you find that meaning in sports but now it's going to be a little more explicit.

What do you think? Do sports help give your life meaning? What are you chasing?

2 comments:

  1. My life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't discovered distance running. I absolutely agree that it gives my life meaning...sometimes in ways that I can't even explain or figure out. Actually its generally what I attempt to explain (mainly to myself) on my own blog. Anyway, sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes, it's me! I figured it wouldn't be too hard to guess. I actually have been kind of following your blog on and off for awhile (creepily of course haha) but I finally figured I should comment. My blog kind of started off as a training log a couple years ago, then I forgot about it for awhile, but this past year I remembered how much I just love rambling about things (especially running)...so it's back! Now that you know who I am I feel less creepy following yours :P

    ReplyDelete